The 93rd Academy Awards ceremony, honouring the best films released between January 1, 2020, and February 28, 2021, will take place on Sunday April 25 this year. That’s a full two months later than normal.
Regardless, any hardcore fan of TV & Film betting will tell you, the race started last weekend when the Golden Globes were handed out. The Globes are to the Oscars what the Kentucky Derby is to the Preakness or Belmont. They were actually late this year, taking the slot reserved for the Oscars. Oh, Covid!
The Academy Awards may be several weeks away but the race is on and the main two betting markets are open for business. Naturally, once the nominees in all categories are announced (on March 15), there will be countless betting options, for now it’s the ‘Big Two’ – Best Film and Best Actor.
Best Actor Betting – Boseman a Cert
The Golden Globe Awards are authentic litmus paper in terms of voter’s intentions. Just consider the Best Actor Golden Globe (Best Performance in a Motion Picture – Drama) genre has given us nine of the last 11 winners of the Best Actor Oscar award.
Bettors have clearly got the memo and Chadwick Boseman, who was posthumously honored at the 78th Golden Globes for his portrayal of an ambitious trumpeter in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, is odds of just -700 to be the recipient of the Best Actor Oscar in 2021.
Best Actor Odds from Bovada Sportsbook
- -1500 – Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
- +6500 – Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
- +1200 – Riz Ahmed (Sound Of Metal)
- +2000 – Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods)
- +2000 – Gary Oldman (Mank)
- +2000 – Steven Yeun (Minari)
- +3300 – Colin Firth (Supernova)
- +3300 – John David Washingt0n (Malcolm And Marie)
- +3300 – Tom Hanks (News Of The World)
- +4000 – Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night In Miami)
Best Picture Betting – Nomadland Favorite
Likewise Nomadland is now a clear favorite to land the Best Picture Oscar after it emerged as the big winner from the Golden Globes.
The Chloé Zhao-directed picture was already one of the main frontrunners for the top prize at next month’s delayed Academy Awards bash after scooping three prizes at the London Critics’ Circle film awards in February.
But now Nomadland is a runaway favorite for the top prize at the Oscars after it was gambled into an odds-on -150 from +125 following the virtual Golden Globes ceremony last Sunday.
Best Picture Odds from Bovada Sportsbook
- -200 – Nomadland
- +175 – The Trial Of The Chicago 7
- +1400 – Mank
- +1800 – Minari
- +2000 – Judas And The Black Messiah
- +2000 – Promising Young Woman
- +2500 – The Green Knight
- +3500 – Da 5 Bloods
- +4000 – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- +4000 – One Night In Miami
- +5000 – News Of The World
- +5000 – The Father
Best Actress Betting – A Third Oscar for Frances?
Nomadland’s lead actress, Frances McDormand is also in the frame to pick up her third Best Actress award at the Oscars after previous recognitions for Fargo and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
She is a +400 shot from +700, but this year’s Best Actress award is now being hotly tipped to go to Andra Day, who has plummeted into +175 favorite from +900 after scooping the Golden Globe equivalent on Sunday for her performance in The United States vs. Billie Holiday.
Best Actress Odds from Bovada Sportsbook
- +175 – Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)
- +200 – Andra Day (The United States vs. Billie Holiday)
- +400 – Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
- +425 – Viola Davis (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
- +1600 – Vanessa Kirby (Pieces Of A Woman)
- +1800 – Nicole Beharie (Miss Juneteenth)
- +2200 – Zendaya (Malcolm And Marie)
- +3300 – Kate Winslet (Ammonite)
- +3300 – Sophia Lauren (The Life Ahead)
- +4000 – Amy Adams (Hillbilly Elegy)
- +4000 – Meryl Streep (Let Them All Talk)
- +4000 – Meryl Streep (The Prom)
- +5000 – Michelle Pfeiffer (French Exit)
* Oscars 2021 betting odds were correct at the time of writing. All odds are subject to change.