The last US Open in 2021 saw pre-tournament favorite Jon Rahm lift the trophy on June 20 at Torrey Pines. This year’s tournament will take place at The Country Club in Brookline, Massachusetts on June 16-19. The 2022 US Open will be the first time the golf club has hosted the event since 1988. Jon Rahm is once again the favorite to win the tournament.
USGA US Open 2022 Info
- Course: The Country Club, Brookline, Massachussetts.
- Date: June 16-19, 2022
- Par: 71 / Yardage 7,033
- Greens: Bentgrass
- Fairways/Rough: Bent Grass
- Broadcast: NBC
- Prize purse: $12,000,000
- Defending champion: Jon Rahm
- Twitter: @usopengolf
- Designers: Willie Campbell (1895) Alex Campbell (1902)
- Established: 1882
US Open: Facts and Stats
- Most victories: 4 — Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, and Willie Anderson.
- Youngest winner: John McDermott — 19 years, 9 months, 14 days (1911)
- Youngest qualifier: Andy Zhang — 14 years, six months (2012)
- Oldest winner: Hale Irwin — 45 years, 15 days (1990)
- Highest score on one hole: 19, Ray Ainsley (1938) on the par 4 16th at Cherry Hills Country Club in Englewood, Colorado.
- Best comeback: Arnold Palmer came back from down seven strokes entering the final round in 1960 to top a group including Nicklaus, Hogan, and Gary Player. It was his first and only US Open championship.
- Amateur winners: Francis Ouimet (1913), Jerome D. Travers (1915), Charles Evans Jr. (1916), Bobby Jones (1923, 1926, 1929, 1939), John Goodman (1933)
- Most times finishing as runner-up: Phil Mickelson (1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2013)
Betting on The US Open
For majors like the Masters, PGA Championship, and the US Open, sportsbooks release outright (winning) odds the day after the last event. This year’s US Open odds became available 24 hours after Jon Rahm lifted the trophy on June 19, 2021, at Torrey Pines. Outright odds for the US Open can range from +500 for a favorite to +100000 for long shots. A $10 wager with +10000 odds would get you a potential return of $10,010 ($10 original stake + $10,000 winnings = $60).
As the tournament date draws nearer, more and more online sportsbooks will offer you varied wagering options, such as prop bets, top-5/10/20 bets, each-way wagers, and many more.
Last Ten US Open Winners
|2020 (took place in 2021)||Bryson DeChambeau||274|
How Competitors Qualify for the US Open
Any golfer with a USGA Handicap Index of 1.4 or lower has a chance of qualifying for this tournament. To enter the US Open, players have to make it through both local and sectional qualifying, be selected by the USGA, or meet one of the following criteria:
- Winners of the last 10 US Opens
- Winner and runner-up from previous year’s US Amateur and winners of the previous US Junior Amateur and US Mid-Amateur
- Winner of the previous year’s Amateur Championship
- Previous year’s Mark H. McCormack Medal winner as a top-ranked amateur in world
- Past five winners of each of the Masters, Open Championship, and PGA Championship
- Winner of the current year’s BMW PGA Championship
- Winner of the last US Senior Open
- Players who win multiple PGA Tour events offering 500 or more points to the winner between the previous and current US Opens.
- Reigning men’s gold medalist if the Olympics took place the year before the US Open.
- Top 10 finishers and ties from previous US Open
- Qualifiers from previous year’s Tour Championship
- Top 60 from the Official World Golf Ranking as of two weeks before the tournament
- Top 60 from the OWGR as of the tournament start date
- Special exemptions selected by the USGA
The USGA fills all remaining spots in the US Open with alternates from qualifying tournaments.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the highest and lowest scores to win the US Open?
Koepka and Rory McIlroy share the record for the lowest score ever to win a US Open, with minus-16 in 2017 and minus-16 in 2011. Walter Hagen's plus-17 winning score in 1919 is the best of all time. In 2006 and 2007, Geoff Ogilvy and Angel Cabrera each shot plus-5 for the greatest winning scores since 1975.
Who won the USGA US Open in 2021?
Jon Rahm won the golf US Open on June 2021 at Torrey Pines on June 20, 2021. This was the Spaniard's first US Open win and the first for his country.
Who holds the record for most consecutive US Open wins?
Willie Anderson won the US Open three times in a row (1903–05). To this day, Anderson holds the record for most consecutive victories at this golf tournament.
Who is the youngest golfer to win the US open?
The youngest winner of the US Open is John McDermott. He was 19 years, 10 months, and 14 days old when he lifted the trophy in 1911.
Can I bet on the US Open using my mobile?
Yes. Most online betting sites are either mobile-accessible or provide you with a mobile betting app upon signing up. Use the sign-up offer links featured in this list of top betting sites to claim a generous welcome bonus when opening your new account.