The Arizona Cardinals are well on their way to being the first NFL team to have a sportsbook built into their facility.
The Arizona Cardinals’ State Farm Stadium site is a popular location for NFL and collegiate football games. Next year, the domed building located in Glendale, west of Phoenix will be home to it’s very own sportsbook.
On Monday, the Arizona Cardinals, BetMGM, and Gila River Hotels and Casinos announced that they will collaborate in a 3-way deal to establish four new sports betting locations in Phoenix. One of the sportsbooks is to be located at State Farm Stadium, which is home to the Arizona Cardinals.
2022 Launch Date
BetMGM has agreed to become the Cardinals official sportsbook partner. As part of their agreement, the Cardinals will become the first NFL team in to have a sportsbook inside their home stadium. It will be co-branded by Gila River and BetMGM and is expected to open in time for the start of the 2022 NFL season.
BetMGM CEO Adam Greenblatt said in a prepared statement “Arizona sports fans are extremely passionate and we’re confident they’ll enjoy the BetMGM experience. Gila River Hotels & Casinos and the Arizona Cardinals represent the state’s premier casino destinations and sports franchise, making them the ideal partners for us.”
This collaboration is just the latest in a series of recent deals between sports betting companies teaming up with professional sports clubs & Native American tribes to handle their retail sportsbooks and mobile sports betting operations.
- The Arizona Cardinals are the oldest team in the NFL, but they are also one of the most unsuccessful having won only two championships (1925 and 1947) since their inception in 1898.
- BetMGM is the sports betting division of MGM Resorts and is the result of a cooperation between the MGM Grand casino and Entain Holdings. Entain, originally GVC, is a publicly traded sports betting company based in London.
- Gila River owns and operates three tribal casinos in the Phoenix metro area – the Wild Horse Pass, Vee Quiva, and Lone Butte.
Other Arizona Sports Betting Agreements
Several other pro sports franchises and tribes in Arizona have applied to the state for sports betting licences. Among the collaborations are:
- Phoenix Suns & FanDuel Group
- Arizona Diamondbacks & Caesars Entertainment
- The TPC Scottsdale course on the PGA Tour & DraftKings Inc.
- Phoenix Raceway & The Barstool Sportsbook
- San Carlos Apache Tribe & WynnBET
- Cliff Castle Casinos & Points/Yavapai-Apache Nation
- Fort Yuma Quechan Indian Tribe & Kindred Group/Unibet
- The Tonto Apache Tribe (Mazatzal Hotel and Casino near Payson) & Churchill Downs’ TwinSpires